More Obituaries for Lloyd Moore
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Lloyd Moore

1941 - 2017 Obituary Condolences
Lloyd Moore Obituary
Lloyd Moore was born to Lon and Faye Moore in Harrisonville, Missouri on September 30, 1941. He was preceded in death by his siblings, Betty Fowler, Mary Voelkel, Kenny Moore,and Billy Moore. His oldest brother, Charlie Moore,is still living in Harrisonville, MO. After graduating from High School he joined the Marine Corps and was stationed in Camp Pendelton; while he was there he had the opportunity to play on their Marine Corps Football team. When he was discharged he was asked to come to Fort Lewis and play with the FLC Raiders. He arrived here in 1961 and became well known for his football agility and held many records throughout his four years. He loved to play on the city's baseball and basketball teams.
He married Janice Strahan had two children, Tracy Degroot (Cassius Klaess, Brooke Klaess), Terrie Anstead. (Harley Anstead, Sophie Belk, Dalton Belk, Ashley Anstead). After he graduated from FLC he became a coach at New Mexican Highlands University for 5 years, then moved to Stephen F. Austin for 5 years. He continued his coaching career at Wichita University for another 4 years. He moved back to Durango with his family and he became an Insurance agent but still followed and shared the ups and downs of the FLC Skyhawks Football team.
He served as the Elks Exhaulted Ruler 3 times and was very active in the organization. He received the honor of being chosen for the Football Hall of Fame in 2001 and later he was in the Century Hall of Fame in 2009. He was always involved in the Safetytown that the Elks sponsored. He loved to be with his friends, hunting, fishing, and mushrooming. If he wasn't at the Elks, you might find him at home, at work, playing some kind of sports, making plans to go elk hunting, deer hunting, deep sea fishing or fishing in the area, be it winter or summer. The funniest time I recall was when a friend of ours went snowmobiling on a fresh frozen lake and he made the mistake of getting to close to the shore where the blades of the snowmobile were caught in the icee slush and froze there. Between Lloyd and another friend they decided to tie a big inner tube around and let it float to shore in the Spring. IT Worked.
Please join us in a celebration of life on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 11am, at the First Southern Baptist Church, 1715 W. 2nd Ave, Durango. Interment will follow at Greenmount Cemetery, Durango, with military honors.
Published in The Durango Herald on Dec. 8, 2017
Read More
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.